Ice cream is my vice, so is chocolate and tiramisu. So when I discovered Ben and Jerry made “Volun-Tiramisu” ice cream, I knew public shaming was inevitable. Predictably, I snuck a pint of Volun-Tiramisu ice cream to bed per night for three nights in a row. I regret what I did, but I will undoubtedly do it again. And again. And yet again. This is why I’ve put myself on the Green Mung Bean Soup de-tox. It’s considered a dessert and Dr. Oz has a modified version of it, but I thought I’d offer our traditional family recipe of this great de-tox food. We usually eat this as a cold dessert.
Green Mung Beans are packed with protein, fiber, and they help control the cholesterol in our body and help create the feeling of fullness. They also contain calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Magnesium can help reduce blood sugar and lower insulin. After my ice cream binge, I can definitely use some magnesium in my system.
Yields 4 Servings
Prep: 3 Hours
Cook: 30- 35 minutes in a pressure cooker; or 40-45 minutes on the stovetop; or 4 hours (on high) in a slow cooker.
Ready: 30 minutes to about 4 hours
- 1 cup whole green mung beans soaked for three hours
- Sweeten to taste. Start with 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or 1 tablespoon Agave nectar; or 2 tablespoons honey)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup sweet potato tapioca boba (low carb snd vegan but not Paleo. It’s mostly made of ground sweet potatoes, but tapioca powder was used as a binding agent)
- Wash green mung beans twice.
- Cook green mung beans in a large pot and bring to a boil, then simmer. Stir occasionally to make sure the beans do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Skip step 2 if cooking in a slow cooker or a pressure cooker.
- If using a slow cooker, set cooker to “high” and cook for 4 hours.
- If using a pressure cooker, cook for 30-35 minutes, depending on your pressure cooker.
- Cook green mung beans until they are all broken.
- Soak chia seeds for 10 minutes.
- Add your choice of sweetener and the sweet potato tapioca boba.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the boba floats to the top.
- Stir chia seeds into the soup.
- Let cool or refrigerate overnight and enjoy!